Sunday, March 8, 2009

CAE/CPE key word transformation practice part 2

1 So that he would be able to leave the room quickly, Matthew stood by the door.

positioned

Matthew ……………………………………………..as to be able to leave the room

quickly.

2 I haven't been told clearly what I'll have to do in my next project at work.

required

It hasn't been made…………………………………………………………….. me in my next project at work.

3 In my opinion, it was an absolute miracle that they survived the accident.

short

The fact that they survived the accident was………………………………..... , in my opinion.

4 What gave you the impression that Sue and Jack were going to split up?

led

What was………………………………………………………. that Sue and Jack were going to split up?

5 I tried as hard as I could to make sure that this problem would not arise.

power

I ……………………………………………………………………this problem from arising.

6 I don't think it was reasonable of you to complain so much about the service.

justified

I don't think you ……………………………………………………………………………..fuss about the service.

7 Laura was faced by a lot of problems during her childhood.

contend

Laura had a………………………………………………………………………….. during her childhood.

8 The audience suddenly started to applaud loudly.

sudden

All……………………………………………………………………………. from the audience.

9 David played the main role when the proposal was drafted.

instrumental

David …………………………………………………………………………….of the proposal.

10 If you hadn't changed our original agreement, everything would have been fine.

stuck

Had …………………………………………………………………………agreed, everything would have been fine.

11 I think you should have some consideration for those who don't have lives as privileged as yours.

spare

I think you should ………………………………………………………….lives aren't as

privileged as yours.

12 We decided to stay for longer because we were so thrilled by the place.

prolong

We decided to………………………………………………………………………. we by the place.

13 Competitors were amazed by how shrewdly he conducted his business affairs.

marvelled

Competitors ………………………………………………………….which he conducted his business affairs.

14 I didn't want to give up while some hope of success remained.

defeat

I was loath…………………………………………………………………….. some hope of success.

15 After a long hard journey, I cheered up when I saw my home.

sight

After a long hard journey, my spirits …………………………………………………of

my home.

16 Your attitude to life would be greatly improved by regular exercise.

wonders

Regular exercise would ………………………………………………………………at life.

17 If Tony hadn't interfered, there would have been no problems yesterday, I'm sure.

smoothly

Without Tony's ………………………………………………………………………yesterday, I'm sure.

18 I said that I thought he was wrong about the best way for us to proceed.

issue

I ……………………………………………………………………..best we should proceed.

19 He didn't want to get into a position where he might lose all his money.

possibility

He didn't want to expose……………………………………………………………. all his money.

20 The company received an enormous number of calls responding to the advert.

deluged

The company …………………………………………………………………………..response to the advert.

21 The manager said that he had paid attention to my complaints and would take the appropriate

action.

note

The manager said that he had………………………………………………………………. accordingly.

22 We'll have to make sure that costs are as low as possible or we'll have no money left.

minimum

We'll have to keep …………………………………………………………………ourselves with no money left.

23 His behaviour at the conference gave him the bad reputation he now has.

conducted

The way…………………………………………………………………………………. in the bad reputation he now has.

24 Her work didn't meet the standards that were considered acceptable.

conform

Her work…………………………………………………………………………….. acceptable standards.

25 The film was so controversial that it was banned in several parts of the world.

caused

Such was………………………………………………………………………………….. the film that it was banned in several parts of the world.

26 He had no idea what was going to happen to him when he walked into that room.

store

Little…………………………………………………………………….. him when he walked into that room.

27 You shouldn't let trivial matters worry you so much.

prey

You shouldn't let trivial matters…………………………………………………………….. extent.

28 He became famous but it cost him his privacy.

expense

His rise…………………………………………………………………………… of his privacy.

29 I helped Ray, with the result that his business became successful.

favour

I ……………………………………………………………………………….which his business became successful.

30 I had to wait for the manager for almost an hour before he would see me.

best

The manager kept ………………………………………………………….an hour before he would see me.

31 I'll have to consider working abroad if an opportunity doesn't arise here soon.

near

Unless an opportunity presents ……………………………………………………………. future, I'll have to consider working abroad.

32 I wanted to make sure that all my good work wasn't wasted in that way.

waste

I wanted to prevent …………………………………………………………………….in that way.

6 comments:

  1. please send me the answer key! my email address is: pagia_nhayhiphop@yahoo.com. thank you very much! (i badly need it now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. would you please PLEASE SEND ME THE KEYS I NEED IT URGENTLY. My mail is Vajer4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. can i have the key pls. Mail ID hanisayaa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - This is great. Do you happen to have an answer key? turbostarna@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Your possible comments will give me invaluable feedback and help develop the site.