Thursday, March 26, 2009

FCE key word transformation 5

1. Mary is fifteen. Jane is fifteen.
Mary is as ................................................................................... .
2. The letter was so old that I couldn’t read it.
It was ......................................................................................... .
3. Given a choice of tea and coffee, I prefer coffee.
I prefer ...................................................................................... .
4. With each day we stayed in London, we loved the city more.
The ............................................................................................ .
5. The girl is more beautiful than the others.
She’s ......................................................................................... .
6. I’ve never seen such a beautiful view before.
It’s ............................................................................................. .
7. It’s the first time she’s ever driven a car.
She ............................................................................................. .
8. Betty isn’t very tall, but she can run very fast.
Although .................................................................................... .
9. They arrived too late to get a good seat.
They didn’t ............................................................................... .
10.I want you to be here at 8 without fail.
You ........................................................................................... .
11.I forbid you to use my bicycle.
You ........................................................................................... .
12.Why don’t we go for a walk?
I suggest .................................................................................. .
13.Do you feel like a cup of coffee?
How .......................................................................................... .
14. I’m certain he is at least 35.
He must ................................................................................... .
15. This jacket has 8 pockets.
There ..................................................................................... .
16. You may need to contact me, so I’ll give you my phone number. (case)
I’ll give you my phone ………………………………………………me.
17. I’ll give you my address in case you want to visit me in Scotland. (might)
I’ll give you my address ………………………………………to visit me in Scotland.
18. Eventually, you will find it easy to milk the cow. (used)
You …………………………………………………..the cow eventually.
19. People can sometimes grow accustomed to loneliness. (get)
People can sometimes ……………………………………………lonely.
20. I will never weigh the same as my brother. (be)
I will ………………………………………………………as my brother.
21. The little boy said that his father was richer than my father. (as)
“Your father is …………………………my father,” said the little boy.
22. He does not travel as far as I do every week. (than)
I travel ……………………………………………..does every week.
23. This tree will soon be as tall as our house. (same)
This tree will soon be ……………………………………………our house.

24. I speak French badly, but I think I speak it better than you. (than)
I think you speak French ……………………………………………do.
25. She hasn’t spoken to her brother-in-law for ages. (spoke)
It’s ………………………………………………………..to her brother-in-law.
26. The baby started crying at 8 o’clock this morning, and it still hasn’t stopped. (been)
The baby …………………………………………………8 o’clock this morning.
27. We moved to this city 16 years ago. (in)
We have ……………………………………………….16 years.
28. You haven’t bought me a meal for ages. (since)
It’s ……………………………………………………..me a meal.
29. There is a possibility that Mary forgot about the meeting. (could)
Mary ……………………………………………….about the meeting.
30. A friend of mine owns four Mercedes. (who)
I have ……………………………………………….four Mercedes.
31. He is very fit because he trains every day. (why)
The …………………………………..so fit is because he trains every day.
32. I borrowed a calculator from that girl. (whose)
That is ………………………………………………….I borrowed.
33. Queen Victoria was born in 1819. (when)
1819 ………………………………………..Queen Victoria was born.
34. Both of her brothers are in the Navy. (who)
She has ………………………………………..in the Navy.
35. Her father took her to the dentist twice a year when she was a child. (to)
When she was a child, her father …………………………to the dentist twice a year.
36. When I was at university, I used to go to the library every day. (would)
When I was at university, ……………………………..to the library every day.
37. Going out to restaurants was not something we did very often. (use)
We …………………………………………..out to restaurants very often.
38. I have arranged to meet my bank manager in the near future. (am)
I …………………………………………………………………….soon.
39. What do you intend to do with all that money? (are)
What ……………………………………………………..with all that money?
40. The film is scheduled to begin at four o’clock. (not)
The film ……………………………………………………until four o’clock.
41. Les is such a bad pianist that no one can bear to listen to him. (piano)
Les plays ……………………………..that no one can bear to listen to him.
42. I don’t see her very often because she lives in Canada. (more)
I ……………………………………….if she didn’t live in Canada.
43. The reason he isn’t going to buy that car is because it is too expensive. (cheaper)
If ……………………………………………………..he would buy it.
44. My dog has got short legs, so it can’t run very fast. (able)
My dog …………………………………to run faster if it had longer legs.
45. Eating is prohibited in the library. (must)
You …………………………………………………in the library.
46. You are not obliged to take part if you don’t want to. (needn’t)
You ……………………………………….if you don’t want to.
47. Will you take care of my dog while I’m on holiday? (after)
Will you …………………………………while I’m on holiday?
48. Can you tell me who this car belongs to? (car)
Can you tell me ………………………………………………is?
49. You may leave the classroom providing you have finished the test. (long)
You are allowed ……………………………………………the test.
50. Could you hold this for a moment? (mind)
Would ……………………………………………for a moment, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your possible comments will give me invaluable feedback and help develop the site.