Saturday, March 7, 2009

FCE key word transformation practice 3

  1. I might decide to record that film on video. (of) I ……………………….that film on video.
  2. What are your plans for this weekend? (to) What ………………………..do this weekend?
  3. She told me, ‘It’s not necessary for you to book in advance.’ (have) She told me,’You ……………….. book in advance.’
  4. ‘This camera is not mine,’ he said. (belong) ‘This camera …………………..,’ he said.
  5. The careers officer advised me not to become an actor. (you) ‘If I ……………………. become an actor,’ the careers officer said.
  6. I haven’t been to the cinema since March. (last) The ………………….to the cinema was March.
  7. What is the pronunciation of this word? (you) How ………………………this word?
  8. You must follow the instructions exactly. (be) The instructions ………………………………exactly.
  9. It’s my responsibility to check the tickets. (for) I ……………………………the tickets.
  10. ‘Do historical novels interest you?’ he asked Jenny. (was) He asked Jenny ………………………. In historical novels.
  11. The price of the ticket includes refreshments in the interval. (are) Refreshments in the interval ……………………… the price of the ticket.
  12. My sister would rather not go to the party with us. (feel) My sister …………………………..to the party with us.
  13. John always puts 100% effort into his work. (hard) John always …………………….he can.
  14. What subject did you like best at school? (favourite) What …………………………..school?
  15. How much did that copy of the World Atlas cost you? (price) What ………………………….. your copy of the World Atlas?
  16. Paul likes to do his homework in bed. (enjoys) Paul ………………………………in bed.
  17. You are not allowed to use mobile phones in school. (prohibited) The use ……………………… in school.
  18. Tanya has repeatedly borrowed Phil’s book without asking. (keeps) Tanya ………………………. book without asking.
  19. Sally remembers the first time she went to school very clearly. (going) Sally clearly remembers …………………………..first time.
  20. Melanie doesn’t often hand her homework in on time. (rarely) Melanie ……………………….on time.
  21. Learning poetry by heart seems pointless to me. (point) I can’t …………………………… in learning poetry by heart.
  22. Graham hasn’t looked at his old schoolbooks for years. (since) It’s ……………………….. at his old schoolbooks.
  23. I decided not to revise for my exam now, but to do it the night before. (put) I decided ………………… my exam until the night before.
  24. Angela found her Chemistry lessons difficult to understand. (difficulty) Angela ……………………….. her Chemistry lessons.
  25. Tom did not study hard at school and now he regrets it. (not) Tom ………………………… at school.
  26. You must do exactly what your teacher tells you. (carry) You must …………………………. instructions exactly.
  27. It’s more than a year since I joined the video club. (member) I have ……………………… video club for more than a year.
  28. Darren couldn’t complete the trip to the Pole because he wasn’t well enough. (too) Darren …………………………the trip to the Pole.
  29. At the end of the book, the heroine marries the hero, Jack. (name) At the end of the book , the heroine marries the hero, ……………………………..Jack.
  30. Which part of the course interested you most? (the) Which ………………………..of your course?
  31. You should wait for an invitation before visiting your teacher’s house. (without) You shouldn’t visit your teacher’s house …………………………..invited.
  32. The guide gave us permission to take photos in the museum. (let) The guide ……………………… in the museum.
  33. Graham’s brother’s bedroom ………………………..as Graham’s.
  34. Jane was still singing the song when the lights went out. (finished) Jane ………………………….. when the lights went out.
  35. It’s pointless to wait any longer. (use) It’s ……………………………….any longer.
  36. This is the most beautiful house I have ever seen. (more) I have ………………………….. beautiful house than this one.
  37. I think John will definitely win the competition. (bound) John ………………………… the competition.
  38. The band is just going to start playing. (about) The band ………………………….. playing.
  39. A well-known actor will probably play the hero in the film. (likely) A well-known actor ……………………………….the hero in the film.
  40. We’ve arranged to meet outside the cinema. (going) We …………………………….. outside the cinema.
  41. I lose things all the time, which is really irritating! (am) I ……………………………. , which is really irritating!
  42. The concert should start at 8.30p.m., according to the schedule. (due) The concert ……………………. 8.30p.m.
  43. We probably won’t finish our work until tomorrow. (unlikely) We ………………………… our work until tomorrow.
  44. I’m sure they will enjoy the concert. (bound) They ……………………………………..the concert.
  45. The film is unlikely to be a success. (probably) The film ……………………………..a success.
  46. You are bound to get seats if you book in advance. (certainly) You ……………………….. if you book in advance.
  47. The actress began working in television in 1999. (been) The actress …………………………… in television since 1999.
  48. How long have you been training to be a dancer? (start) When ……………………………to be a dancer?
  49. The play only started a couple of minutes ago so we haven’t missed much. (just) The play ………………………………..so we haven’t missed much.
  50. The ballet company are just finishing a six-month tour. (for) The ballet company …………………….. six months.
  51. The actors started rehearsing two months ago. (been) The actors …………………………… two months.
  52. It’s almost a year since I last went to the cinema. (to) I ………………………………..the cinema for almost a year.
  53. I have never seen such a terrible film before. (ever) This is the worst film ………………………..seen.
  54. The theatre first became important in ancient times. (since) The theatre ………………………………. ancient times.
  55. During the journey to Australia, they saw many uninhabited islands. (while) They saw many uninhabited islands ………………………………….Australia.
  56. She was excited because it was her first trip to Africa. (never) She was excited because ……………… Africa before.
  57. Their flight was ten hours long, so they were exhausted when they arrived. (for) When they arrived, they were exhausted because they ………………………………ten hours.
  58. When the sky became dark, the explorers hadn’t yet climbed the mountain. (still) The sky became dark while the explorers ……………………………………the mountain.
  59. He saw many temples during his job in India. (while) He saw many temples …………………..India.
  60. I haven’t been to France since I was a child. (when) I last ………………………… I was a child.
  61. They haven’t traveled abroad for ages. (since) It’s ages ………………………………………..abroad.
  62. Will you please send me further details? (grateful) I would …………………………send me further details.
  63. When should I arrive? (tell) Could you …………………………………arrive?
  64. Do I need insurance? (wonder) I ………………………………………insurance.
  65. Is there cheap transport from the airport? (know) I would like …………………………………..cheap transport from the airport.
  66. Would it be possible to leave a day early? (ask) I am ringing ………………………………..be possible to leave a day early.
  67. When do I have to pay for the course? (let) Could ………………………………..I have to pay for the course.
  68. He rang to ask how I was , which was nice. (him) It …………………………….to ask how I was.
  69. If you work hard, you will get to university. (long) You will get to university ……………………… hard.
  70. You’ll miss the bus if you don’t hurry up. (unless) You’ll miss the bus ……………………………up.
  71. I haven’t got enough money to pay for my ticket. (more) If ………………….. could pay for my ticket.
  72. Bring a jacket to the barbecue because it might rain. (case) Bring a jacket to the barbecue ………….…

………………… .

2 comments:

Your possible comments will give me invaluable feedback and help develop the site.