Tuesday, March 3, 2009

FCE key word transformation practice 1

1 We must take as much advantage as possible of any opportunity to speak English.
most
We have ……...........................…………...........................…… any opportunity to
speak English.

2 Honestly, I don’t mind where we go for our summer holidays.
matter
Honestly, ……...........................………...........................……… me where we go
for our summer holidays.

3 Could you speak English when you were younger?
able
When you were younger, ……..……...........................…….........................……
speak English?

4 What’s the answer to sixteen minus eight?
away
If you ……..............……...........................…….............…… sixteen, what’s the
answer?

5 Three hundred students entered the swimming competition last year.
part
Three hundred students ……...........................…………...........................…… the
swimming competition last year.

6 The students will finish their English course at the end of June.
have
The English course ……...........................…………...........................…… the
beginning of July.

7 There will be no more oil available in this area in 2030.
run
Oil supplies in this area ……...........................…………...........................…… by
the year 2031.

8 My sister doesn’t like computer games very much.
keen
My sister ……...........................…………...........................…… computer games.

9 ‘Did you eat the chocolates?’ Maria said to Peter.
asked
Maria ……...........................…………...........................…… eaten the chocolates.

10 Bob hadn’t seen his uncle for several years.
gone
After several years ……...........................…………...........................…… , Bob saw
his uncle again.

11 I needed a cup of coffee this morning but I didn’t have time for one.
done
I ……...........................…………...........................…… a cup of coffee this
morning but I didn’t have time for one.

12 I’m not going to tolerate this untidiness any longer.
up
I have no intention ……...........................…………...........................…… this
untidiness any longer.

13 We went for a walk although it was raining yesterday.
spite
We went for a walk ……...........................…………...........................……
yesterday.

14 I’m sure it will be raining tomorrow.
bound
It ……...........................…………...........................…… raining tomorrow.

15 Could I borrow some change for the telephone?
lend
Could ……...........................…………...........................…… some change for the
telephone?

16 It’s ages since my sister and I had an argument.
out
My sister and I ……...........................…………...........................…… ages.

17 We are friends although we have disagreements about some things.
despite
We are friends ……...........................…………...........................…… disagree
about some things.

18 Has John caught a cold?
down
Can you tell me if ……...........................…………...........................…… with
a cold?

19 I was really bored by the film last night.
found
I ……...........................…………...........................…… last night.

20 I think it’s time the children went to bed now.
had
I think the children ……...........................…………...........................…… to bed
now.

21 The problem we were faced with was a serious one.
came
The problem we ……...........................…………...........................…… was a
serious one.

22 It was a mistake not to apply for the job.
wish
I ……...........................…………...........................…… for the job.

23 Being rich has no connection with being happy.
nothing
Being rich ……...........................…………...........................…… being happy.

24 I can’t wait to see the sights in London.
forward
I am ……...........................…………...........................…… the sights in London.

25 The tourist trade is much better now than it was last month.
picked
The tourist trade ……...........................…………...........................…… noticeably
since last month.

26 Governments should preserve all the world’s languages.
ought
All the world’s languages ……...........................…………...........................……
governments.

27 The tennis players’ match is still going on.
finished
The tennis players ……...........................…………...........................…… yet.

28 What time does your plane land tomorrow?
when
Can you tell ……...........................…………...........................…… tomorrow?

29 The family always spent their holidays climbing in the mountains.
used
The family’s holidays ……...........................…………...........................……
climbing in the mountains.

30 Physical exercise won’t hurt you if you are careful.
do
Physical exercise won’t ……...........................…………...........................…… if
you are careful.

31 How does a rock climber differ from a mountaineer?
between
What ……...........................…………...........................…… a rock climber and a
mountaineer?

32 This new dining table is bigger than the one we had before.
not
The dining table we had before ……...........................………….......................……
this new one.

33 It was not a good idea for you to refuse the offer of that job.
down
You should ……...........................…………........................... the offer of that job.

34 My teacher suggested that I spent the summer in England.
advised
My teacher ……...........................…………...........................…… the summer in
England.

35 The film is not as interesting as the novel was.
much
The novel ……...........................…………...........................…… the film.

36 Will your neighbours look after your dog when you go away?
take
Do you know if your neighbours
……...........................…………...........................…… your dog when you go away?

37 Tom, wouldn’t it be a good idea to take the students swimming tomorrow?
how
Tom, ……...........................…………...........................…… the students
swimming tomorrow?

38 Miss Jones first came to teach us a month ago.
for
Miss Jones ……...........................…………...........................…… a month now.

39 We are noticing a rise in the cost of living again.
appears
The cost of living ……...........................…………...........................…… again.

40 While we were going home, we had an accident.
way
We ……...........................…………...........................…… home when we had an
accident.

41 I’m worried about that bruise on your hand.
look
I don’t ……...........................…………....................…… that bruise on your hand.

42 Susan has had no success with her plans to work abroad, unfortunately.
through
Susan’s plans to work abroad ……...........................…………...........................… ,
unfortunately.

43 ‘Don’t forget to phone tomorrow,’ said my mother.
told
My mother ……...........................…………...........................…… to phone the
next day.

44 ‘Did anyone notice anything unusual?’ asked the police officer.
if
The police officer wanted to ……...........................…………...........................……
anything unusual.

45 Whatever you do, don’t lift that heavy suitcase.
up
I’d advise you not ……...........................…………...........................…… that heavy
suitcase.

46 Maybe John has not remembered about tonight’s party.
could
I suppose John ……...........................…………...........................…… about
tonight’s party.

47 You should not think that the accident was your fault.
blame
It would be wrong ……...........................…………...........................…… for the
accident.

48 I am sure Maria finds reading interesting because she has lots of books.
must
Maria ……...........................…………...........................…… reading because she
has lots of books.

49 I hope you were not discouraged by Sandra from going to the concert.
put
I hope Sandra ……...........................…………...........................…… going to the
concert.

50 I have been to this restaurant three times now.
time
This ……...........................…………...........................…… I have been to this
restaurant now.

51 I am so exhausted that I won’t be able to go out tonight.
too
I ……...........................…………...........................…… go out tonight.

52 The runners had a difficult time competing in the race.
part
The runners who ……...........................…………...........................…… the race
had a difficult time.

53 Do you know when the race is being held next year?
place
When ……...........................…………...........................…… next year?

54 It will be necessary to send this letter first class.
have
This letter ……...........................…………...........................…… first class.

55 ‘Are you waiting to be served?’ said the waitress to me.
asked
The waitress ……...........................…………...........................…… waiting to be
served.

56 Buying those jeans was not a sensible thing for me to do yesterday.
only
If ……...........................…………...........................…… those jeans yesterday.


57 The owner established the company in 2001.
up
The company ……...........................………….......................... the owner in 2001.

58 We booked seats but it was not necessary because there was plenty of room.
booked
We ……...........................…………...........................…… seats because there was
plenty of room.

59 It is difficult for Paul to decide what to do.
mind
Paul finds it difficult ……...........................…………........................... what to do.

60 Bad weather delayed the building project for several weeks.
set
The building project ……...........................…………...........................…… for
several weeks by the bad weather.

61 Sara cleaned every bit of her room before her cousin came to stay.
top
Sara cleaned her room ……...........................…………...........................……
before her cousin came to stay.

62 Travelling by bus is cheaper than travelling by train.
more
Travelling by train ……...........................…………...........................…… travelling
by bus.

63 Leaving school made me realise that my childhood was over.
brought
Leaving school ……...........................…………...........................…… me that my
childhood was over.

64 I never find time to tidy my desk.
round
I never ……...........................…………...........................…… my desk.

65 Please behave as if you are in your own house during your stay.
make
I’d like you all ……...........................…………...........................…… home during
your stay.

66 I am not tall enough to reach the top of this cupboard.
taller
If I ……...........................…………...........................…… reach the top of this
cupboard.

67 I’d like you to connect me to the managing director’s extension number.
through
Could you ……...........................…………...........................…… the managing
director’s extension number?

68 To tell the truth, we need a swimming pool for this school.
what
To tell the truth, ……...........................…………...........................…… a
swimming pool for this school.

69 Do you know whose this umbrella is, by any chance?
belongs
Do you know ……...........................…………...........................… , by any chance?

70 Was it Paul’s idea to go to the cinema?
came
Was it Paul ……...........................…………..........................…… the idea of going
to the cinema?

71 The boats began to move slowly out of the harbour.
way
The boats slowly ……...........................…………...........................…… out of the
harbour.

72 One runner did not succeed in finishing the race.
able
One runner ……...........................…………...........................…… the race.

73 It is not my fault that the glass broke.
blame
You cannot ……...........................…………...........................…… the glass.

74 I am starting to find watching television boring.
fed
I am beginning to get ……...........................…………...........................……
television.

75 Bad weather makes me feel really unhappy in the winter.
down
Bad weather ……...........................…………...........................…… in the winter.

76 Fog delayed my flight to Moscow this morning.
up
My flight to Moscow ……...........................…………...........................…… this
morning.

77 Help was urgently needed in the flooded area of the country.
need
They were ……...........................…………...........................…… in the flooded
area of the country.

78 I went to Italy with the intention of learning Italian.
that
I went to Italy ……...........................…………...........................…… Italian.

79 Remember to return the videos you have rented.
back
Don’t ……...........................…………...........................…… the videos you have
rented.

80 While we were going home yesterday we got caught in a thunderstorm.
way
We got caught in a thunderstorm while we were
……...........................…………...........................…… yesterday.

81 Has Mary altered her decision about moving to the countryside?
mind
Do you know if Mary ……...........................…………...........................…… about
moving to the countryside?

82 I’d like Kevin to stop telling me what to do.
wish
I ……...........................…………...........................…… telling me what to do!

83 ‘Are you pleased it’s nearly half-term?’ said the teacher to us.
know
The teacher wanted ……...........................…………...........................…… pleased
it was nearly half-term.

84 We are earning less than we are spending, I’m afraid.
expenditure
Our ……...........................…………...........................…… our income, I’m afraid.

85 I don’t think having luxuries in life is necessary.
necessity
I don’t ……...........................…………...........................… having luxuries in life.

86 I don’t earn anything like the amount I did before.
nowhere
I earn ……...........................…………...........................…… as I did before.

87 The date for the Barcelona Conference is the 23rd of March.
place
The Barcelona Conference ……...........................…………...........................……
the 23rd of March.

88 The house was not very attractive in appearance when we first saw it.
much
The house was ……...........................…………...........................…… at when we
first saw it.

89 No-one wants to buy this type of music any more.
longer
There ……...........................…………...........................…… for this type of music.

90 Looking back, I think I was right to study mathematics at university.
regret
Looking back, I ……...........................…………...........................…… mathematics
at university.

91 Our spending will have to be reduced next year.
back
We will have ……...........................…………...........................…… our spending
next year.

92 The children were absolutely certain that the film would be fantastic.
doubt
There ……...........................…………...........................…… minds of the children
that the film would be fantastic.

93 Did anyone raise the subject of the school trip?
brought
Can you tell me ……...........................…………...........................…… the subject
of the school trip?

94 I started learning English three years ago.
been
I ……...........................…………...........................…… three years.

95 They are moving our oral examination to an earlier date.
forward
Our oral examination ……...........................…………...........................…… to an
earlier date.

96 ‘Do you want to go for a walk?’ asked Bob.
felt
Bob asked me ……...........................…………...........................…… for a walk.


97 Olivia did not concentrate so she made a lot of mistakes.
would
If Olivia ……...........................…………...........................… made fewer mistakes.

98 Do you happen to know the time of the next train to London?
could
I wonder ……...........................…………...........................…… me the time of the
next train to London.

99 The children are always fascinated by nature programmes on TV.
find
The children ……...........................…………...........................…… when they
watch them on TV.

100 ‘What about going for a swim?’ said John to me.
should
John ……...........................…………...........................…… for a swim.




1 comment:

Your possible comments will give me invaluable feedback and help develop the site.